Installation problems on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I’m very excited to receive my new JouleScope, but I’m having problems installing on my Ubuntu 16.04LTS installation. I know you only test on Ubuntu 18.04, but I was hoping to at least get something. Instead, I get “$ ./joulescope_launcher
[32156] Error loading Python lib ‘/home/ttoombs/Software/JouleScope/joulescope_0_4_1/libpython3.6m.so.1.0’: dlopen: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /home/ttoombs/Software/JouleScope/joulescope_0_4_1/libpython3.6m.so.1.0)”.
Has anyone else had success with older versions of Ubuntu?
Is there an installation step I’m missing?
I installed and ran the udev changes.
The device is NOT plugged in.
Does Python3.6 need to be installed? I have Python3.5 installed.
I installed the Windows version in a VM and it seems to come up fine, so I will be able to test some at work tomorrow.
Thanks in advance!

Hi Tim! Thanks for backing Joulescope, and welcome to the forum! It looks like python 3.6 in the distribution relies upon a newer libc that is not on your 16.04 system. Perhaps the easiest way is to run the Joulescope software as python packages. First, install Python 3.6 or higher (16.04 only has 3.5 by default). The simplest way is to install from the deadsnakes PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:deadsnakes/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python3.6

You can also build and install python 3.6 or higher (3.7.3 is the latest) from source. Verify that you are using the correct version of python:

python3 -V

You can then install the Joulescope UI package which should install all dependencies (including the forked version of pyqtgraph):

pip3 install joulescope_ui

And then run the Joulescope software:

python3 -m joulescope_ui

Update: As of Joulescope UI 0.4.6 on July 15, 2019, the steps listed above should work.

Thanks for replying so quickly! I was unable to get this working. Note to others, you will also have to install numpy and pyside2, and possibly others.
Instead, I started a “clean” Ubuntu 18.04 in a VM. This appears to be working. I will be testing more today.
If anyone gets this to work on 16.04, please post your method. I’m sure I just wasn’t patient enough.
Also note, to get the python version number, use Capital ‘V’, not lower-case ‘v’ (which is “verbose”).
-tim-

I tried using joulescope_ui like this myself, and I also ran into issues. The setup script is not correctly handling the custom forked pyqtgraph correctly. I will fix this in the near future and let you know.

Thanks! I have edited my previous post.