Win 10 software crashes on start

Hiya,

I have downloaded and installed Windows 10 Joulescope 0.4.6 (console debug version). When starting the application, a console window opens, and I can just see a stack trace of some python failure before the window closes. Interestingly enough, Windows 10 Joulescope 0.4.6 works well, and my own version of the software pulled from the github can not find the joulescope when plugged in.

Has anybody experienced similar issues with the console debug version? I was wondering if it was logging those stack traces somewhere; however, I am inexperienced with Windows, which made that a little challenging haha!

Thanks! Excited to be a part of this community.

Hi @axel and welcome to the Joulescope forum!

I just tried the Joulescope UI 0.4.6 console version, and it is broken. If you run “C:\Program Files (x86)\Joulescope\joulescope.exe” from the command line, it says that it can’t find pyqtgraph (one of the dependencies). I have correctly rebuilt the 0.4.6 console, and you can download the fixed version here.

The Joulescope UI places its logs into:
C:\Users{your_user_name}\AppData\Local\joulescope\log

You should hopefully be able to follow the instructions over on pyjoulescope_ui to get the source working. If you don’t care about your Python environment being taken over by the Joulescope dependencies, you can go with the much shorter version:

git clone https://github.com/jetperch/pyjoulescope_ui.git
cd pyjoulescope_ui
pip3 install -r requirements.txt
python3 -m joulescope_ui

I have been using Python 3.7.3 on Windows, but anything 3.6 or newer should work. You can confirm your version using:

python3 -V

I make a python3 in the path to match Linux & Mac by manually copying python.exe to python3.exe. You can do the same or use just “python”.

Amazing! Thanks for the fast reply. I just downloaded the newest version and it is working as expected!

The source code is working, but it just can’t seem to find the joulescope. I must have made some mistake with my venv, so I will keep playing around with it.

Thank you for all the help!

That’s strange. If you want to just isolate the Joulescope discovery, start python and try this:

>python
Python 3.7.3 (v3.7.3:ef4ec6ed12, Mar 25 2019, 22:22:05) [MSC v.1916 64 bit (AMD64)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import joulescope
>>> joulescope.scan()
[<joulescope.driver.Device object at 0x0000020073402D68>]
>>>

You should see a single device if you have one Joulescope connected.

Interesting - performing the same I get the following

Python 3.7.3 (v3.7.3:ef4ec6ed12, Mar 25 2019, 21:26:53) [MSC v.1916 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import joulescope
>>> joulescope.scan()
[]

When I open the Joulescope app it works - my mac also can find it under the same conditions

Ah! I know why. You need 64-bit Python. I just looked, and I don’t think that I mentioned that in the README.md - will update it.

Ah perfect! Thank you very much