Display - fixed width font?

How do I switch to a monospace font in the display?

Reason: as the values are continuously changing (a little), the displayed value moves slightly left and right. I’d like it to stay in place with just the digits changing.

My first experience (Mac, USB panel) is good!

Hi @ttmetro and welcome to the Joulescope forum! The Joulescope user interface does not currently have a way to specify a fixed width font. I was able to modify the code to display a fixed width font, but it looks pretty ugly, so I will need to spend more time. I have added a new feature for font selection, including fixed width fonts, to the list!

Thanks for the feedback, and great to hear that your initial experience is good!

1 Like

There is a font feature called “tabular figures” which is basically monospace digits, in an otherwise proportional font, for use cases like this one or for tables/spreadsheets where columns of digits should line up. Some fonts have this as an alternate option even if the standard digit glyphs are proportional. I don’t know about other platforms’ system UI fonts, but on Mac OS, the San Francisco font has tabular figures that can be enabled even though the default is proportional figures. I am not sure how to actually do that programmatically but it might be something to look into?

1 Like

We are finally working on “Preferences”, which will allow for font specification. Thanks for the tip on “tabular figures”. I came across this very helpful article which points out some great font features and fonts for displaying numbers.

Here’s Open Sans Bold (which has tabular numbers) in the Multimeter display:

The decimal point still moves, but the total length of the numbers no longer changes.

Coming soon :smiley:

The 0.7.0 software now includes and uses the Lato font by default for all statistics displays. Lato is a tabular font. Really want a fixed-width font like Courier New? No problem! You can select a different font using the updated Preferences implementation and dialog. Select File → Preferences → Multimeter → font-main and select what you want: