Installation on Macs

With Mojave, Apple made it very difficult to distribute applications without going through the Apple Store. Here is what you can do to install and run the Joulescope UI:

1. Download the Joulescope UI
  2. Open the download and drag joulescope.app to Applications
  3. Control-click, select Eject “Joulescope”.
  4. Open Finder and navigate to Applications
  5. Hold control, click on joulescope.
  6. Select Open
  7. A window will pop up. Click ok. The window goes away.
  8. Hold control, click on joulescope
  9. Select Open
  10. You will now see the same window, but now with an “Open” option. Click Open.
  11. But nothing will happen.
  12. However, you should now be able to run the Joulescope UI normally by double-clicking on it or clicking on it in the bottom bar.

Hello All!

Today I followed these steps:

Hardware:

Mac Mini (Core i7)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

Joulescope Software:

joulescope_0_9_3.dmg

Result:

All steps except for step 12 produced desired results. I am not able to run Joulescope by double clicking on the app, or any combo of control clicking.

A previous version of the UI was running on my system before upgrade.

Updates:

I’ve downgraded to: joulescope_0_9_2.dmg, and I am now able to run the UI again.

Hi @mumi32, and welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting regarding your experience with Joulescope UI 0.9.3 and macOS. Yes, Joulescope UI 0.9.3 was built using macOS Big Sur, which for some reason (Apple) is no longer compatible with macOS 10, including Catalina. If you are still running Catalina, you should stay with Joulescope 0.9.2.

We are considering how difficult it will be to support macOS 10 going forward. Do you have plans to upgrade to macOS 11 Big Sur in the near future?

An alternative is to run from the Python packages. See this post.

Thanks! Apple won’t be supporting upgrades to Big Sur on this old computer - but I don’t mind sticking with 0.9.2 one bit. I actually just installed 0.9.3 on a mini PC of mine running Win10, so it’s all good.

I understand that back supporting an older OS is a disastrous amount of work for any small business offering a product, so I’m fully happy with an older version, as long as there are no big measurement accuracy issues.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @mumi32 - Sounds good! The measurements will all be correct under Joulescope UI 0.9.2, so you can continue using 0.9.2 on macOS 10.x.

Sounds good, thanks!

I downloaded Joulescope UI 0.9.3 onto a macOS 10.15.7 system.

I did approve the macOS security prompt in Settings, Security and Privacy.

When I then tried to run the app from /Applications, it displayed a warning message “Unable to open app joulescope”.

When I try to run it from the command-line, I get:

> open -a joulescope
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed for the application /Applications/joulescope.app with error -10810.

Does anybody know how to get the Joulescope app working on macOS?

Hi @victorhooi and welcome to the forum! Since you are still running macOS 10, you can either run Joulescope UI 0.9.2 or run from the python packages directly. 0.9.3 was built on macOS 11, and apparently, Apple broke backward compatibility.

With the new Joulescope UI 0.9.7, we now offer installers for both macOS 11 and macOS X on our download page.

Joulescope UI 0.9.7 also supports macOS 11 arm64 with the M1 chip using Rosetta, which comes with your Mac.