Sigrok for data analysing

Hey there!

First of all, the Joulescope and the support are awesome!
Also, I’m currently using the downsample_logging.py function for measuring over longer periods of time. I was wondering if the Joulescope could support Sigrok in the future.
It is an opensource tool for analyzing data.

https://sigrok.org/wiki/Main_Page

Keep up the good work!

Hi @Groj and thanks for the kind words!

Having Sigrok support would be awesome and is definitely on the roadmap. We (Jetperch LLC) don’t have the time to take this on ourselves quite yet, and we unfortunately cannot commit to a completion date yet.

Here are some interesting links:

I didn’t know that the Saleae Logic Pro 16 driver existed, so I’ll have to try that out.

If anyone in the Joulescope community wants to develop a sigrok driver before we get to it, we would be happy to support you!

1 Like

I wanted to mention that sigrok integration or the ability to run sigrok protocol decoders on the captured io data would be great!

Hi @ferret_guy and welcome to the forum! For full sigrok integration, I think we need to reimplement the existing Python “driver” in C/C++ and then implement a Sigrok API. While this is moving up in the priority list, its still well below a lot of features, such as Triggering.

I am not sure about just supporting the protocol decoders. Would exporting the IN0 and IN1 signals to a sigrok-compatible file-format be enough and valuable to you? We could like export the current, voltage, and power data, too, but I don’t yet know if the sigrok format supports analog and digital signals together.

Exporting to a Sigrok compatible file format (it may be very close to that now) would be great for now, if you take a look at the API that protocol decoders use it’s pretty simple. Scopy implements it, and that lets it use the entire library of Sigrok decoders though more complex features like stacking decoders is trickier.

My preferred integration with sigrok would have the logic data visible in sigrok and the Joulscope software, Sigrok’s analog signal implementation leaves a lot to be desired where the Joulscope experience is great. That would let you correlate power usage with the signals as well as view the decoded signals.

1 Like