"Windows 10 x64" binary also works on Windows 7

Just an FYI, I’m successfully using the “Windows 10 x64” binary on my Windows 7 machine. You might consider changing the text on the Downloads page so users know it works on Win 7 and 10.

1 Like

Thanks for the report @svec! That makes two people successfully using Windows 7. I know that WinUSB had some changes along the way, so I am pleasantly surprised.

I’m afraid to have to test Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. However, I think Windows 8.x market share is close to zero. Windows 7 is now out of regular support by Microsoft and extended support ends January 14, 2020 (less than 7 months after Joulescope general availability).

I know it’s only a datapoint of 1, but do you plan on staying on Win7 through 2020?

I plan to stay on Win 7, but that’s because my Win 7 physical box and Win 7 VM both work as-is, and I’m scared to update them for fear of 5 years of installed software breaking when updated to Win 10.

But if my Win 7 machine or VM dies, I’ll probably go with Win 10 to spin up a new box.

1 Like

Ok. Joulescope now officially supports Win 7 x64. Let’s hope I don’t get the opportunity to use my MSDN subscription :wink:

1 Like

I’m happy for the Windows 7 support too but have to say it only works on my Lenovo E531, but not on my trusty T520.

Hi @Pete - is the T520 Windows 7 x64? Or is it still Windows 7 x32? I think that all Windows 7 x64 machines with current updates should work. I know x32 does not work, and I have not tested un-updated Windows 7 versions.

FYI, I was unable to get this to work with my Win7 (x64) VM (VirtualBox). The driver would not load, so the UI did not detect any devices. Not sure what’s going on there or where the driver is supposed to be found.

Joulescopes should not need any special driver installation. The Joulescope software uses WinUSB as the OS driver, and WinUSB is supposed to be included with Windows 7. What I call the Joulescope driver is really python code (with some Cython compiled into native machine code) running in user space that communicates with the Joulescope device using WinUSB. Windows 7 should know that the attached Joulescope is supposed to use the WinUSB driver through special USB descriptors that each Joulescope provides to Windows.

However, I did have another report of an issue on Windows 7 where “Joulescope” showed up under “Other devices” in Device Manager with the yellow exclamation point. Is this also what you are seeing?

Yes, this is what I’m seeing. I’m not a frequent Windows user, so I won’t be a lot of help diagnosing this. I would be willing to spend some time with it if that will help.

1 Like

Hi @TimToombs,

I was able to convince an unpatched Win 7 install running in a VirtualBox VM to recognize a Joulescope and run the Joulescope software. You need to manually force Windows 7 to use WinUSB with this INF. Here are the steps:

1. Configure your VM USB settings to “USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller”. You may need to download and install the VirtualBox Extension.
  2. Save the INF to a {path} in your VM
  3. Connect Joulescope to the host PC and then to the VM (you should get a “Device driver software was not successfully installed” message in the VM)
  4. Start Device Manager: Start, type “Device Manager”, press Enter
  5. Right click on Joulescope
  6. Click “Update Driver Software…”
  7. Click “Browse my computer for driver softawre”
  8. Enter your {path}, click Next
  9. Click “Install this driver software anyway”
  10. Should see “Windows has successfully updated your driver software”
  11. Click Close

You should now be able to use the Joulescope software normally. Hope this helps!