Windows Processes are Hanging

I left the LabVIEW running while typing up the previous post and NOW there is activity in the command replys.

However, its just freewheeling and not exiting this command reply section.

It finally exited on its own. It didnā€™t capture the correct signal, but there is some life in there:

Ok, good to know that this fails at the command line and not just in CI. So with the new 1.0.12 joulescope driver, the LabVIEW process starts but runs very slowly. Since subprocess.run blocks, the python capture does not return on time, either.

Are you seeing processing starvation? What does Task Manager show for CPU utilization and RAM utilization while the LabVIEW code is trying to do its thing?

During a CI run I just kicked off.

So WEIRD. Now the build is running. The data capture didnā€™t get the right thing, but the build isnt hanging. I was remoted into the PC and watching the task manager while the build was running from the CI.

This is showing up in the build log:

I know whats going on with the stop iteration. I am working a fix for that now.

Looks like you need to update scipy:

pip3 install -U scipy

However, this looks like it is from the analysis, not capture, command.

Upgraded scipy library. Working on the stop iteration now.

The STOP ITERATION error is tied to the code not being able to find a valid radio signal in the data capture. Iā€™ve put better error handling in place.

So, I had a thought. What happens if you start the python capture without --command and then manually launch the LabVIEW command from a separate Windows command prompt? Do you still see the strange behavior? I was looking into subprocess, and itā€™s not entirely the same as starting a new command from the command line.

Iā€™ll give it a try now.

With version JS 1.0.12, the LabVIEW command in a separate command prompt does not work.
With version JS 0.9.11, the LabVIEW command in a separate command prompt works.

Could JS 1.0.12 be blocking all serial port communication?

Ok, you see the same behavior launching individually from the command line, so itā€™s not subprocess.

It shouldnā€™t. It is only supposed to connect to Joulescope devices. The hotplug detection and device scanning is very similar between the implementations.

Here are some things that are different between 0.9 and 1.x:

1. The backend (pyjoulescope_driver) is new and written in C rather than Python, but both use WinUSB.
  2. The backend driver architecture is different (see architecture drawing).
  3. The backend now runs with elevated THREAD_PRIORITY_ABOVE_NORMAL priority on Windows.
  4. The joulescope v1 bindings use different stream buffering with different update intervals.
  5. The joulescope v1 bindings have different code for most everything, including setting parameters.
  6. The downsampling filters have changed to match what will be on the JS220 FPGA.
  7. Processing may be more or less efficient - havenā€™t quantified the difference.

Both have different memory spaces than the LabVIEW code, so memory corruption should not be a thing. It could somehow be OS-level, like USB stack usage. I think that WinUSB usage is very similar, but itā€™s not exact.

Some things to try with python_datalogger.py:

1. Comment out device.stream_process_register(recorder). Any change?
  2. Comment out device.start(stop_fn=on_stop, duration=args.duration). Does the LabVIEW code run correctly? (the script will not exit since on_stop will never be called).

Commenting this line showed some promise. The code to communicate the command to the radio appears to work now. I see the proper response from the radio saying it confirmed the command. However, rather than seeing a datalog file with 70 seconds of data, two 2kb files were produced. I ran this twice and saw the same behavior.

Files written at separate times.

The first short file was because I had a one sec duration with the command --command python -VV

But the duration for the second capture was ignored ā€¦

With this as my command: C:\Python\python.exe C:\CBAT_Test\Python_Datalogger\python_datalogger.py --duration 70 --frequency 50000 --product_tag CMIUV2_LTE_COM_AVG --command ā€œC:\CBAT_Test\Labview_7.5_PUMA\Executable\Labview_Main_PUMA.exe - RunConnectivityTest COM10 PUMA 200 spare spareā€ --timedelay 15

Iā€™m still seeing just a 2 kb file.

C:\Python\python.exe C:\CBAT_Test\Python_Datalogger\python_datalogger.py --duration 70 --frequency 50000 --product_tag CMIUV2_LTE_COM_AVG --command ā€œpython -VVā€ --timedelay 15

Without the radio command, still seeing 2 kb file.

Well, that is interesting. The line device.stream_process_register(recorder) hooks up the streaming data to the data recorder. Without that line, the joulescope driver still works, but the data does not get sent to the JLS file. I would expect very small JLS files like you see with just the header & footer information, no data. This change also reduces the amount of CPU loading.

A few thoughts:

1. Is it possible that the LabVIEW code is timing sensitive and overly affected by CPU loading?
  2. Does the LabVIEW code also do a lot of disk access? Is the setup exceeding the disk bandwidth or OS disk buffering capability? The new v1 joulescope driver definitely has different update rates that could affect performance.
  3. If (2), you could try using the JLS v2 file format. See jls_v2_writer and the capture_jls_v2 example.