Estimate of battery life

Could one of you clever software engineers write a JS220 add-on for battery emulation and profiling to calculate an estimate of battery life for the device under test (DUT)

2 Likes

Hi @microcircuit, and welcome to the Joulescope forum! Adding battery estimation has been on our list for a long time. Perhaps we have let perfect be the enemy of good. A simple battery life estimate is to take a JLS recording, a specific battery, and estimate total runtime based on total battery capacity. A more complicated battery life toolkit extracts regions of activity, finds like ones, allows you to adjust periods (simulate changes), allows you to specify operating temperatures over the battery life, and estimates total runtime. Complications include estimating in mAh (for LDO) or Wh (for switched mode power supplies), specifying additional efficiency curves over input voltage, fully emulating battery resistance & I/V curves.

What do you have in mind that would meet your needs?

Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply.

What I had in mind was a battery life estimate is to take a JLS recording, a specific battery, and estimate total runtime based on total battery capacity.

I am now waiting for Digi-Key to stock the JS220 so that I can obtain one in order to evaluate it for the University.

Kind regards,

Phil

Thanks for the detail, @microcircuit ! Sounds like even a simple estimate without accounting for lots of other factors will be good enough.

We will be working on getting the Joulescope JS220 Digi-Key listing up and working next week so that you can purchase by mid-November.