Joulescope Driver Installation

Hi, I am trying to troubleshoot the issue with my Joulescope. When I connected the Joulescope to my laptop, UI doesn’t work, I can see the Blue LED kept ON at Joulescope Device.

I tried to fix the driver and uninstall the driver to get this reinstall again but it didn’t work. Window is unable to install the driver anymore. I am browsing the driver path to C:/Windows/System32/Drivers.

Please help here. Thanks

Hi @daljeetid and welcome to the Joulescope forum!

Your Joulescopes are designed to automatically use the WinUSB driver that is included with Windows 7 SP2 and newer. Joulescopes should not need any driver installation process. However, we have found some unfriendly software in the wild that attempts to claim Joulescopes, but we have not yet identified what software it is.

See Joulescope UI does not connect to JS220 and Joulescope UI does not discover connected Joulescope.

Does this help?

If not, can you post what you see in Device Manager?

Hi mliberty,
This doesn’t help. It seems for my case, Joulescope is not detecting the Window driver “winusb.sys”. Please see the snapshot for your reference and help. Thanks

Hi @daljeetid - Ok, I am not exactly sure what you tried that did not help.

Let’s try the manually removing and adding the JS220 to see if this fixes anything.

1. Right-click on the Joulescope JS220 in the Device Manager
  2. Select Uninstall device
  3. Unplug the USB cable to your JS220, then plug it in.
  4. Do you still see “The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)” in Device Manager?

If not, great!

If so, what version of Windows are you running?

Hi @mliberty, I followed the steps here and it still shows drivers for the device are not installed. As you can see in snapshot Joulescope JS220 is showing under other device but technically it should be under universal serial bus controller if its using a correct driver which is “winusb.sys”.

I am using Window 10 Enterprise Edition
Version : 22H2

Hi @daljeetid - Something must be wrong with your Windows installation. The WinUSB driver comes with Microsoft Windows, and the JS220 contains Microsoft OS Descriptors so that Windows configures it correctly.

Here is what I see:

Does C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\winusb.sys exist on your PC?

If so, perhaps you can press “Update Driver…” and manually select it?

Hi @mliberty. C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\winusb.sys exist in my PC. Here is snapshot.

When I tried to update the driver and manually select the folder, Window still not able to install the driver.

Please check the above snapshots for your reference.

Hi @daljeetid - Unfortunately, I do not know what is happening with your Windows machine. We have not seen this particular issue before. This issue is not a Joulescope issue.

I want to be very clear: Joulescope do not require any manual driver installation steps. They use the WinUSB driver that comes with Windows. Joulescopes also automatically tell Windows that they use the WinUSB driver using Microsoft OS Descriptors. This process is all automatic.

To ensure that the JS220 is not at fault, here are some things to try:

1. Plug the JS220 directly into your host Windows computer. Do not use any hubs, docks or adapters. Any change?
  2. Try using the Joulescope JS220 with a different machine. Does it work?
  3. Did your Joulescope used to work on this host machine? If so, what did you change recently with the host computer?

If (2) does not work, let me know. Otherwise, your Joulescope JS220 is working and somehow, your Windows installation is not functioning properly. I suspect some software on your machine that corrupted the Windows driver associations.

I Googled this issue. Rebooting, clean boot, and disabling anti-virus are all common recommendations. You may also be able to find more information using Event Viewer.