Power on/off relay control

Don’t want to leave target continuously powered, because (1) running down batteries, and (2) power-on behavior is required.
I’m wearing out my connector and my fingertips, unplugging and replugging my target, while stopping/starting display and logging.
Wish Joulescope GUI had option to turn target power off/on and start a new log file from single screen click.

2 Likes

Hi @PFKlammer,

Thanks for the suggestion. You can use the existing software to turn target power on/off using the Control View (shown automatically with the default Oscilloscope View), then set Current Range selection to off. You can then turn it back on using auto or any valid current range. This will at least save your fingertips :wink:

I also want to clarify what you mean by log file. Do you mean a .jls Joulescope data recording capture file? I’ll assume so for below.

So, here is my interpretation of the feature you want:

1. Turn off target power (Current Range = off)
  2. Stop current jls recording (if in progress)
  3. Wait for power-off time (1 second?)
  4. Start jls recording (use automatic file naming based upon timestamp)
  5. Turn on target power (Current Range = on)

Did I capture all the steps you are doing manually? Please clarify where I have not correctly captured your intent!

If you are looking for unattended operation, we can also script this behavior using Python very easily. I can put together a quick script that does this if you would like. Let me know!

1 Like

Yes, something like that. Maybe a little more manual: separate the Off and the On actions (your description sounded like once click might do both in sequence).

@mliberty, I would really like a power on/off switch on the UI, even on the Multimeter view it would be most useful.

I am developing a USB/WiFi device and it would be most useful to turn the power on/off for some USB testing. Right now I have to unplug and replug the USB cable, this is something that may happen 100s of times each day during development and dramatically increases the wear on the cable and PCB connectors.

Thanks,
Sid

Hi @SidPrice: Have you tried setting Current Range to off? This setting is on ViewControl which is enabled automatically for the standard Oscilloscope view. You can also add it to the standard multimeter view.

I agree that setting Current Range to off is not the most intuitive, and a separate power switch/button view would be a good future feature.

Hi @mliberty, yes I discovered the current range “off” setting, it is not very “user-friendly”, I look forward to a control for it in the UI. My post was really just to reinforce the utility of a new control :slight_smile:
Sid