Feature Request: One view per file

Can we please have the ability to view a single file in the GUI restored as the current view is a deal breaker. I’ve now abandoned the new interface for this reason alone.

In the new GUI, when you double click on a file to load it in Windows Explorer you have no idea where the file will shown. The files get stacked in the GUI and the latest file isn’t even the one that is the most prominent.

I’m hoping that I’ve simply missed a setting.

Kind Regards,
Steve

Hi @sallen and welcome to the Joulescope forum! Sorry to hear that your transition to Joulescope UI has not been entirely excellent.

The new Joulescope UI 1.0 has a lot more flexibility to simultaneously display multiple files and live streaming data, all at the same time. This new capability allows much easier waveform comparison, but it does mean that you need to manage the open Widgets. Closing the Waveform Widget when you are done using it can certainly help. Since the UI preserves state between invocations, not closing Widgets when you are done means that they just accumulate.

It sounds like you open a lot of files from Windows File Explorer. When you do this, the Joulescope UI switches to the File view and opens the file. It currently uses the Qt Advanced Docking System’s defaults to display the widget. This usually means that the new widget is at the top but with small vertical height. We could certainly change this behavior, especially for the File view. Perhaps it opens as a tab on the top widget?

Are you used to using the Joulescope UI 0.9.x or 0.10.x to open multiple UI instances, one per file from Windows Explorer?

Another option is to have the UI open just as a single file viewer when you open a file from Windows Explorer. It would operate in a limited capability with no views and no Widgets, just the one Waveform Widget. It would also not preserve the state. Is this more what you have in mind?

Hi Matt,

The speed of your responses never ceases to amaze.

I’ve been sitting on UI 0.9.7 as I’m still using a pre-JS220 setup and wanted to minimize changes.

This usually means that the new widget is at the top but with small vertical height.

That’s exactly what I’m observing, but my eye is naturally drawn to the larger window at the bottom of the stack and I miss the new window.

We could certainly change this behavior, especially for the File view. Perhaps it opens as a tab on the top widget?

I quickly end up with 10 windows as I compare the waveform of a number of devices. Having tabs isn’t a bad solution, but it makes it harder to compare waveforms unless I then pull them out.

Another option is to have the UI open just as a single file viewer when you open a file from Windows Explorer. It would operate in a limited capability with no views and no Widgets, just the one Waveform Widget. It would also not preserve the state. Is this more what you have in mind?

This would match the old behavior and is really what I’m looking for. The new GUI seems to take longer to load and the old “file view” might also be quicker.

Kind Regards,
Steve

Thanks for the additional information, @sallen ! I think that I understand what you want. We can definitely make the UI better for this purpose, and I will take a closer look later this week. Please feel free to follow up here if you do not see an update by July 11.

You are right that the new UI takes a bit longer to load and to switch views. The majority of the time is spent rendering icons every single time. It should use previously rendered icons like UI 0.9.x and 0.10.x if nothing has changed. For reasons, this is harder to do with the 1.0 architecture. We put off this feature, but we’ll get to it soon!

Hi @sallen,

I just added two issues:

• #205 Improve JLS file open by extension
  • #206 Improve Joulescope UI start time and View switching time

These have been assigned to the next release. No firm commitment on timing yet, but hopefully in a couple of weeks. If you happen to take a look at those GitHub issues and notice something missing or incorrect, please post here or on the GitHub issue.

This issue is fixed by Joulescope UI 1.0.28 and newer. Starting with 1.0.28, when you open a “.jls” file from Windows file explorer, it starts the Joulescope UI in file viewer mode. In this mode, the UI only views the single file and does not connect to attached Joulescopes.

1.0.28 is currently beta and available for download here.